Monday, 3 June 2013

Homemade Terrain!

Hello Strangers!

Been a while since my last post unfortunately. University has been getting in the way. Damn you education system! Now I have 4 months of holidays so I should be getting back into it.
Unfortunately, right now I'm the only one back so until my compadres return and we can get back to gaming I'm stuck twiddling my thumbs. So instead of being completely lazy I set myself to (attempting) to make some terrain to see what I could come up with!
At first I didn't have much to work with apart from some card I found around the place so I started experimenting and making some prototypes to see what I could try and make work until the plasticard I ordered arrived.
As does pretty much everything in my life I started of with doodles!
For the first time in my life Pythagoras actually came in handy!

I had an idea from the space hulk set to try and make a kind of multi part trench or walkway so that you can mix and match and make whatever kind of pattern you want with them. For the prototypes I just made a corner section, a ramp and an end section with a platform.

I'm planning to make these out of plasticard and glue instead of tape and card when I can and make a few different types such as T sections, crossroads, straight sections and I'm going to try making an end section that ends in rubble to make it look like its been destroyed.
These work quite well to say they are only made from card and tape. But the walkways on these are only 30mm across which leads to problems for anything that doesn't have a 25mm base.

With this in mind I went a bit more adventurous (and sympathetic for the fattys with their 40mm bases) and went for something a bit larger.

As you can see the ramp on this I made larger. A whole 75mm to be exact! This means that even the chunky dreadnoughts can amble their way up into a better firing position.

Then a miracle occurred! The plasticard arrived! *cue fireworks*
Before I started remaking all that I had already made out of card I decided to have a play around first and came up with this.

IMHO I don't think its too bad for a first try. The ramp is 50mm across so provides access for terminators and other 40mm base models.
My main problem now however is that I need to find some cheap gray paint and get them looking all pretty!

I'm going to try making more like these so I'll post the results when I can!

Melons, out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...