Monday 21 January 2013

The Blackwing Part 3 - Spiritual Guidance

Here follows briefly a rough outline of my first Blackwing Commanders background and his model. I am yet to base him as I like to base several models at once to save time. Overall I am happy with his paint scheme though the photos have blurred some of the details, I think he sets the tone well for my army of dour and secretive special operations marines fanatically devoted to the Emperor.

Chaplain Anselm of the Rock

Named for an ancient Terran philosopher, Chaplain Anselm is the current chief spiritual advisor of the Blackwing. He was chosen as one of the founding members of the chapter for his loyalty and devotion to the Inner Circle. He is described by those who know him as a generous father figure who enjoys sitting down for deep intellectual discussion over afternoon tea. He is righteous in battle and devout in prayer as any chaplain should be. Anselm is however hiding a secret from his inquisitorial masters.

Slavishly loyal to the Dark Angels he has been carrying out their agendas in the Hellcaris system and ensuring by any means necessary that the Inner Circle's secrets do not come to light. More than one inquisitor has died from a tragic accident in recant years and several low-level prisoners have disappeared in the dead of night. Loose ends need to be tied neatly; a task Anselm is all too ready to carry out.

Unlike many chaplains Anselm does not carry a crozius, for his was stolen by a mysterious Dark Eldar Pirate and Anselm has vowed to take it back. To replace his weapon Anselm went into the chapter forges for ten days and ten nights, emerging with a blood red blade dubbed Gorecleaver whose sole purpose is to slay the one who wronged him.












I only had the one lamp when taking these pictures so they have ended up somewhat atmospheric and unfortunately blurred some details like his skull helmet.

Due to all kinds of craziness I have only been able to paint Anselm and one squad of my Blackwing these past two months. The new army book looks great as do the new Deathwing Terminators who I desperately want to accompany my newly converted Chapter-Master into battle. However I have said I will not buy any cool new stuff until I have painted everything I got for christmas, some of which will be appearing on the blog as soon as I have had time to photograph them.

I played a few games against The Euphemism the other week, during the course of being thrashed by his Grey Knights I finally realised how I was playing my Dark Eldar wrong. Instead of taking advantage of their mobility I seem to have turned into a Bond villain: deciding every unit was a group of expendable henchmen that I sent in wave after wave. Too long playing Imperial Guard and not using my Dark Eldar often really does show!

Anyway I hope to be taking my Warriors of Chaos to the battlefield soon, which means they may get painted eventually. But first I have embarked upon a somewhat expected journey that I may not come back from, and if I do I won't be the same......



1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...